Meal Plan June 19-25 and thoughts about fathers


I have always been a daddy's girl. Growing up, my dad worked nights and my mom taught during the day so I had a lot of daddy daughter time. (Actually I recently asked my dad when he slept; he would get home around 4-5 a.m. and take care of me around 7. His response "I was young"...) I have an affinity for shirley temples and I am positive it's because I had fresh ones, straight from the gun at Ikes and Ikes 2 while my dad took inventory. 

My dad spoiled me. I refused to put shoes on until my dad got down on the floor and pretended to be the butler from Cinderella. Students in every class I've ever taught have listened to my dad and I's favorite song, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" at dismissal because my dad played that song for me every single morning before school and we danced. 

A lot of people who meet my dad think he's serious, and he can be. But my dad can also be extremely funny, light hearted, and would make a fabulous trivia team member. Ask him about national talk like a pirate day, ANY song from the early days of Bob and Tom, Star Wars, early Simpsons episodes, or any line from Ferris Bueller's Day Off

My dad is also very serious and smart. My family goes to South Haven every summer. We frequent a little dive called Captain Lou's. Last summer, I was pregnant and I got sick at Captain Lou's and I mean really sick. I had ridden my bike there, and couldn't even make it home. My dad got me home, my dad sat with me for the rest of the night, my dad made sure I was ok; there is no one in the world I would have trusted more to take care of me than my dad. When Huck got burnt a couple weeks ago, I immediately called Kurtman. 

While my mom has always been my inspiration, my dad is my drive. Growing up, there was nothing more important to me than impressing my dad, and nothing more devastating than letting him down. My dad had high expectations for my brothers and I. Those expectations are what helped me learn perseverance and hard work. I don't give up. ever. That's my dad's doing. 

Kurtman cared for us, pushed us, made us laugh, sacrificed for us, and loved us unconditionally. I hope he knows that that love is returned. And don't worry dad, although I'm married now, I still order the most expensive thing on the menu and then claim I ate a big lunch...

Speaking of lunch, because yesterday was Father's Day I am just getting to my weekly meal plan. Hopefully it's not too late to prep some healthy lunches and meals for yourself and your family for the week! Have a healthy and happy week y'all! 


Comments